Monday, August 28, 2006

"Blood Orange" (Revised)

As the spasms fade and salt
dries on the skin, you fold
back into yourself, a consumed
blood orange restored in a film
run in reverse: tongue-caressing
juices flow back into bruised
segments which rise and swing
together again into a sphere,
a world of flesh closed
and complete within itself;
then you shrug once more
into the malleable skin
and reattach yourself
to the swaying branch, among
but not of the others, absorbed
by the surge of your own ripening
until the sun presses so deeply
into your center the need
to spill sweet light opens
you once more.

7 Comments:

Blogger writingblind said...

I've been seeing this theme of blood oranges everywhere this past week. I love this line:

"..tongue-caressing juices flow back into bruised segments.."

Such a great image.

1:03 PM  
Blogger S.L. Corsua said...

Enjoyed reading both original and revised versions. ^_^ My first time here; so glad I bloghopped my way to your poetry site. Been reading past poems (so loved the ones entitled "Gut" and "I Want to Be"). I hope I get to read more. ^_^

10:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyed both versions, but this seems to be a lot tighter now. Just like that orange. Sunshine in a fruit.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Hedgie said...

Thanks, everyone; I always appreciate the comments. I think one more round of revision, and I'll leave this one alone.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Hedgie said...

Thanks, wings.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

lovely imagery

5:44 PM  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

'the need to spill sweet light opens you once more..' I like this

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home